Can you hear the drums…? – February 2020

In many property tenancies there will be a clause along the lines of “…the tenant will not play or use or cause permit or suffer to be played or used on the Premises and musical instrument audio or other equipment or apparatus producing a sound which would cause a nuisance or disturbance to the owner or occupier of any land or premises in the vicinity of the Premises…” This clause is about being a good neighbour.

If you and your landlord receive a Notice under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 telling you that a complaint has been made about loud music including amongst other possibilities a very loud PA system then you have a problem. If a Statutory Noise Nuisance is then witnessed by an Authorised Officer of the Authority you can be served with an Abatement Notice. It is better by far to control the amplification of the music by a competent person who can also monitor the event overall.

If your neighbour does complain, thank them for coming to you. Talk with your neighbour about the issue and try to resolve the issue amicably. You should be aware that even if you have double glazing sound can still travel through other openings and the roof. In short, be alert to the potential for noise nuisance from your building and be a good neighbour. In this way you commend the gospel.